I'm really interested in everyone's opinion on platonic friendships between women and men.
I find that girls generally believe it exists and guys are a bit more skeptical.
Weird huh?
Saturday, October 20, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 screams of joy:
I think the division lies in relationship status, not gender. Single people believe in platonic friendships; people in relationships probably get suspicious of their partners' platonic friendships.
Though it's not really people in relationships that are suspicious - more that people in general don't think platonic relationships can't exist without one party being interested. So if you are in a relationship you naturally think the friend must be interested in your guy/girl.
I think it's possible but it's def very rare(don't see it happen very much without the factors mentioned further down) and it's too easy to blur. Never really understoof ppl who were like I think you're a great guy but I don't see you like that. If they were so great for them, wouldn't they be interested? Usually it is from something that turns them off or makes it awkward for them such as a certain hobby, lifestyle, personality or physical appearance.
It has just been much simplier to unblur the often thin line between an awesome friendship and something more by creating barriers for yourself. Having a person being taken, having an age or racial/cultural gap or just being not really physically attractive to them makes for great barrier which helps solidify a great platonic friendship and makes it hassle free
Good opinions.
Maybe I'm being overly optimistic (or naive), but I don't think it's that rare at all.
To me, you're either:
a) fun to hang with, or
b) not fun to hang with.
But of course, this is just oversimplifying things :P
Platonic friendships are common enough but without the barriers I mentioned previously, what stops it from complicating itself? It feels to me there has to be factors that need to scream either they are unsuitable as a mate or back off they are taken.
Else what stops you gradually developing into seeing the person as something more? As the same for the person as well.
More food for thought.
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/08/opinion/sunday/a-man-a-woman-just-friends.html?_r=0&adxnnl=1&pagewanted=all&adxnnlx=1350904080-bOfk16pfSsAzt3cS+pjhEw
Your barriers confuse me Jason.
I confuse myself xD
Post a Comment