Thursday, October 18, 2012

Sugar Hit 2012 round 2 - AZUMA, Bourke St Bakery, Night Noodle Markets AND MORE! EPIC DAY

Those of you who have me on facebook will know I had an EPIC food day on Tuesday.


Tuesdays is usually a no-uni day for me, so I spent the morning baking banana bread (which turned out ugly because I stupid stacked them on top of each other while they were baking). Dropped off Accounting notes for B (so long, financial accounting!) at uni and met up with W for our epic trek around the city for good food.  

I will not be going in chronological order.  AZUMA FIRST because it was the most anticipated.  (Also, if you want to read about their dessert LAST YEAR, it's here :)



TRAY 1

Kawaii Panna Cotta
HELLO THERE QT(3.14) SMILEY PANNA COTTA. I liked this one because it was a) cute, and b) quite light.  The hair is just deep fried soba noodles with scattered grains of sugar.  The bottom layer of the panna cotta was brown sugar jelly (which was quite gelatinous).  Overall, the vanilla quite subtle and it was a nice dessert. 
Home-made Yuzu Sorbet
This was awesome. Like last year, they had pop rocks!  This made it more "fun" to eat and the citrus-y flavour of the yuzu sorbet was just super refreshing.  In hindsight, I should have eaten this towards the end, because I was dying from chocolate overdose by then.

TIME FOR TRAY TWO!
TRAY 2

Gateaux Chocolat
I love whipped cream.  I love fruit.  I love chocolate.  What I didn't realise before this dessert, was that I love candied violets as well.  See those purple dots on the cream?  Yep, candied violets. They were devilishly delicious and sweet.  The gateaux was almost too much for me to handle.  I had been eating ALL day (and almost died a chocolate death on Friday at the Grace Hotel), so this slab of chocolate was almost un-bearable. 

But on a serious note, it was a damn good gateaux. I would pay to eat another piece right now.

I was a machine that night and also polished* off the last bit that my partner in crime could not finish.  #glutton

*By polished, I mean I slowly put the bitesized slab into my mouth and chewed with the most excruciatingly pained expression on my face.
Marble Gateaux Cookies
This... did not impress me.  Sorry Azuma.
Yuzu Nigori Sake Sample
I liked this sake better than the one they had last year. Last year, I downed my sake like a shot and felt a bit winded.  This year, I knew better and sipped it slowly.  The yuzu aroma/tangyness/flavour is INTENSE and even though it was a bit strong, I think I liked it enough to go for seconds :D

This concludes my piece on Azuma's sugar hit desserts for 2012.

NOW ONTO SOME OTHER GOODIES.

The first stop we made was at Badde Manors (aw man, forgot to check in here on Foursquare - yes, I got foursquare and I am obsessed). Sipped and enjoyed our affogatos until I realised I was sitting next to Jade from Black Expresso (a blog I lurk).   She's... very different in real life and it made me wonder if I am very different offline.

Next stop - Bourke Street Bakery. One word: YUM.

Definitely going there again, the trek was a trek, but it was worth it and I think it built up our appetite. (I've been hitting up Surry so much in the past few weeks. If I moved out, Surry Hills would be my suburb of choice).
Top Left clockwise: Affogato from Badde Manors, Passionfruit Meringue Tart from Bourke St bakery, Ginger Brulee Tart from Bourke Street, and the Chocolat Gateaux from Azuma.


LAST ITEMS - Agape Organics food truck

Ever since I first read about food trucks (EAT truck on phuocndelicious' blog), I have been dying to try them all!  They are surprisingly hard to track down (especially Tsuru, they keep selling out before I get to them!!). But Agape were at the Night Noodle Markets, so we thought we'd give it a go.  I'm not a real big organics eater- but I'm always open to try new things!

Organic Wagyu Beef Satay
Don't be put off by how it looked.  It was actually very tasty (it just got a bit spicy towards the end - the heat sure builds up)! 

Organic SPELT Pizza
The pizza, on the other hand, was er.. interesting.  I didn't really like the hoisin sauce/pizza idea because it's just ... weird and didn't work out.  But the five spice pulled pork and corriander was a nice topping to have. 

This food truck experience was a relatively positive one.  I was pretty wary of the spiciness in each item on the menu.  Last time I ordered a Ssam from the EAT truck, I almost died from the heat.  (Also ate from the EAT truck today, because it was parked at uni, but I'll talk about that in another post).



NON-FOOD RELATED:  I know most of you come here for me and not the food (love you too), so I'll just quickly update this segment with something random that happened today.  I tweeted (lol yeah, back into twitter...) something about having to walk home from the bus stop and stressing about the fact that I needed to get my license.  5 minutes later, K calls me saying that M broke our car door, and that it might be a total write off.

So er, we have 1 car in use now. Sad times for us all. AWW MAYNE, gotta factor in an extra 30 minutes for walking to the busstop now. Lameballs.

Apart from the whole car/walking thing, I had a really nice day.  Hope you all did too!!

Toodles :)

4 screams of joy:

Leeanne said...

How did she break the car door D:

SL24 said...

Was going to ask the same. Not from a car accident right?

mawson . said...

my mum actually saw what happened with the car door when she went outside. :P


if you need a lift and i happen to be around m2, gimme a text! :)

B said...

Ahaha, basically she backed into a pole when the passenger seat door was still open. The door was bent pretty bad by the pole. Problem is fixed now! We got the entire door replaced!!

And thanks mawson :)

 
design by suckmylolly.com